23.4.09

ME 1 - GE MONEY 0

Here's a little ditty how it's worth
sticking to your guns.


In March I had an outstanding balance of
£38.70 on my GE Money Mastercard.

I paid it off in full. The money left my back
account about 5 days before it was due.
GE Money didn't allocate it to my account
and slapped me a £12 late payment fee.

I asked them to locate the money. They
couldn't find it. Couldn't be asked to
look for it more like!

I asked Barclays (where the money had come
from) to track it down. They found it sitting in
a GE Money's account. I wrote to GE Money
and pointed this out. Oh, they said
"we found it now".


They refunded me the £38.70 which I had
actually paid again in the meanwhile just to
stop any more interest occurring. But they
didn't refund the late payment fee.

I wrote to them again. Nothing. They
claimed they'd tried to phone me
to "discuss the account."

A) nobody had phoned and B) as far as I was
concerned there was nothing to discuss,
they owed me £12. I wrote to them and put
it in very clear terms that is the £12 is
not refunded within 14 days I shall be
contacting the Financial Ombudsman.

Miraculously an apologetic letter arrived
and the £12 appeared on my account
with a £10 "good will credit
adjustment." (above)


I wonder how many people would've given
up in the beginning or at the latest in the
middle of the paperwork war I had to go
trough with them to get the £12.

I bet they make millions each month just
because people go "oh, it's only £12"
or £5 or whatever, and give up. They
certainly make it difficult enough to
get what's owed to you, especially
when it's their fault.


Oh yeah, the reason the money wasn't
allocated to my account was "as a result
of a system error". Of course it was.


I never let the banks win and this is just
another great example how it's worth
sticking to your principles -
even for a small amount.


No comments: