21.9.09

NOT PHOTOS
PART II

Remember Paul Lung and his amazing
photo-realistic drawings?

Well, check out these paintings by Alyssa
Monks. Even more stunning!

At first glance these images may look like intimate
snapshots caught by a photographer but believe
it or not these scenes were hand painted
by the New York-based artist.

The 31-year-old said: "I have always wanted to paint
for as long as I can remember. I took classes at school
and then went to college and University before
ending up at the New York Academy of Art."

"The paintings are very intricate and they take a lot
of work to get right. It is all about the desire to
create an image of a person that is
beyond what even a photograph
can portray."

Alyssa takes about 1,000 pictures for a small series
of paintings, using the images to play with the
colour and get the paintings
as real as possible.

She added: "I use the photographs I take to help
me compose, although I invent a lot of the water
and steam effects from memory."



No comments: